Shipping a car from Canada to the U.S. can be a long-drawn process. That is why most people, who are relocating to the U.S., prefer professional auto shipping services to handle this rather tedious process. There are several specialized auto shipping companies that offer top-notch service, reliable delivery, high quality vehicle care and exceptional security while taking your car across the border.
The Right Documentation is a Must
When shipping a car from Canada to the United States, documentation is extremely important. This facilitates the process and ensures it runs smoothly. Usually, there are certain documents that the vehicle owner has to provide the shipping company and thereafter the company handles everything.
Some of the documentation you would have to provide is as follows:
- US Customs 3299 Form: This form has to be filled out completely and is meant for free entry of unaccompanied articles. Make sure in the Description of Merchandise, you fill out the year of the vehicle, make of the vehicle, model number and VIN of the vehicle. The form should be duly signed and dated before being handed over to the shipping company.
- Passport Copy: Scanned, high resolution copy of your passport is a must. The page which contains your photograph is what the shipping company needs to get the vehicle across the border.
- Vehicle Ownership Document: A scanned copy of vehicle ownership is also required by the shipping company to ensure your car reaches the United States without any hassles.
Other Important Documents
When bringing a vehicle into the United States that has been manufactured outside the country, you have to ensure the car conforms to the rules related to emissions, safety and bumper design. Hence, before shipping a car from Canada to the United States, it is mandatory to also fill out certain other forms and documents.
- EPA Form 3520-1: This form is to check for emission and the rating should conform to the one set by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). When filling out the form, make sure you put in the VIN, date of manufacture, make, model and other details of the car. This form can easily be downloaded from the EPA website.
- NHTSA Safety Standards: The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has certain rules regarding importing vehicles. The car should meet the motor vehicle safety standards prescribed by the federal government. This has to be done in the form of a declaration by the manufacturer and the said declaration should mention your car’s VIN.
Remember, there will be a customs fee for shipping a car from Canada to America. Presently, this fee is 2.5 percent. Furthermore, the shipping company would have to present the original bill of lading and the foreign registration of the vehicle. Since your vehicle is being shipped, you have to remove all personal belongings from the vehicle before shipping. This is because the belongings are not insured and can cause a problem for the driver.
Because of the difficult process of shipping a car from Canada to the U.S., it is best to hire a reliable, trustworthy and knowledgeable auto shipping company. This way you will have peace of mind knowing the shipping will go smoothly and your precious vehicle will reach its destination quickly.